Sunday, February 5, 2012

FLinG - February 5, 2012 - Shame On Me

I have posted here, and have kept a daily post on my FaceBook page, of my current goal to read the bible in 90 days. I must say this is the farthest I have ever gotten in a bible reading plan! I am really excited about it.

But I must confess. I did not read yesterday so I am one day behind. My niece was here and she helped me with several things and I just got tired and then I watched a movie and then another and then it was time for bed, I couldn't keep my eyes open!

So, now that the excuses are done, the point of the post: I physically missed reading. Well maybe not the "reading" per se, but rather the time spent with God.

How do I know I missed it? The Holy Spirit, that wonderful prompter, showed me I had strayed from the path.  My sleep last night was not a restful sleep. I had weird dreams and was very distracted in my sleep, as well as when I woke up. I hit the snooze button 4 times which almost kept me from going to church this morning. To top it off, I was unfocused during the service and Sunday school.

This condition makes me sad. I allowed the devil's minions to distract me with two movies, that I had already seen by the way, and making me feel too physically tired to spend time with God. There really is no excuse, especially since I didn't even try to read and spend time with Him.

Shame. On. Me.

I know there may be times when it really isn't feasible for me to spend an hour reading, but times like yesterday can be avoided by practicing obedience. We (me included) really need to keep in the Word so we can slay those nasty minions that are continually shooting flaming arrows at us.

For me, this time is only one day and the Spirit of God pointed out my lack of discipline by making my sleep disturbed and I caught the message. In truth we need to watch out for how easy it is to continue with a lack of discipline. So I didn't sleep well last night, so I take a nap today to "get over it". Then I get distracted and go to bed without reading again today. Pretty soon I won't be feeling distracted in my sleep and it won't matter that I didn't spend time with God before I go to bed each day. Satan wins the battle. I allow the win by disobedience. God is sad. And if I keep it up - I won't even care anymore and I have ended up pushing God to the curb. Shame on me!

Father, forgive my disobedience and thank you Spirit for showing me my error the way You did. Make me, the same way David asked You to make Him, be obedient to You. For You. For others to see You through me. Through Jesus I pray, Amen.

Are you currently in a season of "Shame on me"?

2 comments:

  1. I am so sad to say that this hits home....busyness and bad choices draw us away from God quickly. God is faithful even when we are not. So glad He sent the Spirit to help us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon ... you are right. Busyness will lead to bad choices. Quickly. I do praise His name for being there with us. He definitely has our backs!

      Delete